June 10, 2019
Preventing Bees And Wasps Around The Pool This Summer
There are many games you can play in your pool. You can play Marco Polo, where a person with their eyes closed must only use the word Marco to find their friends to tag them. If you have a circular pool, you can play Whirlpool where you run around in circles until a vortex is created that acts as a current to pull you around. There is even a game you can play if bees or hornets are around, it's called Splash and Dive. Of course, this is not as much of a family favorite. If you're having trouble with stinging insects bothering you while you're spending time outside or in the pool, we have some prevention steps you will want to know about!
Why Pools And Other Bodies Of Water Attract Stinging Insects
If you have spent any time around a large body of water or a pool, you have probably noticed that bees and wasps like to fly overhead. They don’t do this because they like to scare small children or cause trouble. They do this most likely because they are looking to harvest water to keep their colony cool. Wasps also consider liquid to be a source of food which is another reason they will hover.
Prevention Steps To Enjoy The Sun Safely
When it comes to minimizing your risk of being stung while outside, there are a few things you can do. Here are some steps the CDC suggests for people who would like to avoid being stung by stinging insects:
- Wear light-colored, smooth-finished clothing.
- Avoid perfumed soaps, shampoos, and deodorants.
- Wear clean clothing and bathe daily. (Sweat may anger bees.)
- Wear clothing to cover as much of the body as possible.
- Avoid flowering plants when possible.
- Keep work areas clean. Social wasps thrive in places where humans discard food.
- Remain calm and still if a single stinging insect is flying around.
- Most importantly, If you are attacked by several stinging insects at once, run to get away from them. (Bees release a chemical when they sting, which may attract other bees)
The Bugsperts Recommendation For Minimizing Stingers This Summer
If you want the best protection possible from stinging insects this summer, we highly recommend giving the Bugsperts a call if you are seeing wasps of bees on your property. Once we have gotten your call, we will head over ASAP to find and remove any bee or wasp nests from your property. This will greatly reduce your chances of being stung and will help ensure your summer stays as sting-free as possible. If you'd like to have your property inspected and treated for stinging insects, give us a call at Bill Clark Pest Control today! We would be happy to take care of your pest control needs.
< Previous Next >