May 20, 2020
Just How Bad Is It To Have Cockroaches In My Montgomery Home?
Cockroaches are pests that all Montgomery homeowners want to avoid. These pests are sturdy and hard to get rid of, and they are also known for being unsafe and for spreading germs. While most people know that cockroaches are more than just nuisance pests, you may not realize how many issues cockroaches can cause. These insects pose many risks mainly because they tend to carry and spread so many diseases.
There are many different kinds of cockroaches around the world, and there are several varieties in the Montgomery area. The most common species in this area of Texas are German cockroaches, American cockroaches, Oriental cockroaches, smoky brown cockroaches, and vega cockroaches.
Here is a brief description of each one of these species:
- German cockroaches: These are best identified by the two black stripes that run horizontally on their heads.
- American cockroaches: This is the biggest species and can be identified by a yellow figure-eight pattern behind the head.
- Oriental cockroaches: This species is known for its characteristic reddish-brown coloration.
- Smoky brown cockroaches: They are a large species that is a black and mahogany color.
- Vaga cockroaches: These look similar to the German cockroach but have a black stripe between their eyes.
Why Are Cockroaches So Dangerous?
The main reason why cockroaches are so dangerous is that they carry and spread a variety of pathogens and diseases. It’s disgusting the ways in which cockroaches pick up and spread germs and disease. These pests are attracted to moist, dark areas, so they often pick up germs from bathrooms and garbage and then spread them around your home. They are attracted to bathrooms and kitchens, so they often spread bathroom germs to your kitchen and even to your food.
These are the main health risks that all cockroach species pose:
- They often contaminate food sources.
- They can carry about thirty different diseases including serious ones like salmonella and E.coli.
- They can cause asthma attacks or allergic reactions.
The other scary thing about cockroaches is that they can begin spreading germs before you even notice them.
How To Identify A Cockroach Infestation
The most obvious sign of a cockroach infestation is if you see them in your Montgomery home. However, there are other signs that you might notice before ever seeing these pests.
Here are some signs of a cockroach infestation:
- An unusual smell that lingers on items a cockroach has touched.
- Cockroach droppings that are quite small but are brown or black and in a cylinder shape.
- If in a water-abundant area, cockroaches can leave brown smear marks in irregular shapes along walls and floors.
- You might also notice their shed skins, in some cases.
If you haven’t noticed any signs of an infestation, there are some prevention tips you can follow to keep cockroaches out.
- Cleaning up food spills and crumbs
- Repairing holes in screens
- Vacuuming and cleaning regularly
- Placing weather stripping around windows and doors
- Fixing leaky pipes
- Using dehumidifiers
- Securing food, including pet food
Keep Your Home And Family Safe
If you’ve noticed signs of cockroaches, the best thing to do is get help from the pest control professionals at Bill Clark Pest Control. Since cockroaches can put your family’s health at risk, make sure they are eliminated swiftly and effectively. With over 60 years of experience, we can protect you and your family from cockroaches.
< Previous Next >