March 23, 2021
Five Easy & Effective Fly Control Tips For Conroe Homeowners
Is there any pest more annoying than a fly? These bugs have no respect for personal space, buzzing around and landing wherever they please, and the presence of flies can cause stress and sickness for you and your family. If you’re in need of fly control tips for Conroe homeowners, you’ve come to the right place.
Types Of Flies In Conroe
Many types of flies can be found in Texas, but there are a few species that are common around the home in Conroe. Some common flies found in Conroe include:
- House flies – The most common household fly, these insects measure about 1/4 inch in length and can be recognized by their hairy bodies, large compound eyes, and dark gray coloration with black stripes.
- Blow flies – These flies have a metallic shine to their bodies and vary in coloration from green, blue, and red. Blow flies measure about 1/4 of an inch in length and can often be found around decaying materials.
- Fruit flies – Fruit flies live up to their name and can usually be found congregating around fruit and other produce. These flies are usually about 1/8 inch long with brownish coloration.
- Drain flies – These tiny flies average about 1/10 inch in size and thrive in areas of still water, like clogged drains. They have a fuzzy appearance and wide-set wings that give them a moth-like appearance.
Flies are a nuisance, but they also pose a real risk to your health and wellbeing. House flies are known to carry bacteria that cause salmonellosis and dysentery, as well as parasitic worms. In some cases, they can even carry pathogens that cause tuberculosis, typhoid, and anthrax.
Five Tips To Keep Flies Out
- Check your screens – Make sure that there are no rips or holes in your window or door screens that could let flies in. Patch or replace any tears you may find.
- Replace weather-stripping and door sweeps – Flies can simply crawl into your home if given the opportunity. Faulty weather stripping or door sweeps could allow flies to enter your home.
- Don’t leave doors open – It seems simple, but just being conscious of leaving your doors open when you enter the house can reduce the presence of flies. When bringing in groceries or taking out the trash, try to leave doors closed as much as possible.
- Seal cracks in foundation – Flies can even slip into your home through cracks in your foundation. Identify any damage to your foundation and seal with caulk.
- Seal gaps around pipes – Similarly, flies can find their way in using space around pipes that lead into your home. Make sure that any gaps around plumbing and cables are sealed.
Five Tips To Prevent Flies Around The House
- Clean up in the kitchen – Wipe down all surfaces after eating or preparing food and don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Dispose of all trash – Make sure that all trash is disposed of in a container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep trash bins away from the home if possible.
- Clear drains – Look for any clogged drains that could attract flies. Fruit flies and drain flies both use sources of standing water to reproduce, and a slimy clogged drain is an ideal breeding ground.
- Store food – Try not to leave any produce hanging around, especially in the warmer months. Keep food in sturdy air-tight containers and try storing produce in the refrigerator.
- Clean up after pets – Dispose of pet waste as soon as possible. Blow flies often use pet waste to breed, and getting rid of your dog’s business can help reduce the presence of flies on your property.
The best tip for dealing with flies in your Conroe home is to get in touch with the experts at Bill Clark Pest Control. Our experienced team will eliminate the flies in your home and prevent them from coming back. Get in touch with us today.
< Previous Next >