September 3, 2020
8 Easy Ways To Have Fewer Mosquitoes Around Your Beaumont Property
If there’s any pest that can make enjoying your Beaumont property impossible, it’s the mosquito. These flying insects are universally hated because of their extremely itchy bites and tendency to infest areas in large numbers.
While most people can’t stand mosquitoes and find their biting and buzzing unbearably annoying, they are much more than just a nuisance pest. Because of the mosquito's ability to spread pathogens from one host to the next, they are extremely adept at spreading diseases. In fact, they are one of the most deadly animals on the planet.
While seeing a mosquito bite you is the most obvious way to tell them apart from other flying insects, knowing what they look like in general can help you identify large infestations.
- Mosquitoes have six long, thin, and gangly legs that hang down from their bodies.
- They have translucent wings.
- While they are usually a grey color, markings and coloration can vary based on species.
- The females have a long, nose-like appendage, called a proboscis, that they use to suck blood.\
Mosquitoes need standing water sources to lay their eggs and reproduce, so they are especially prominent in humid areas next to things like lakes and ponds. In the day, they also seek areas with thick vegetation to hide as they are most active during dawn and dusk.
Why Are Mosquitoes Considered Dangerous?
The red, itchy bites that mosquitoes leave are never any fun, but these bites are more than just an annoyance. While not all mosquito bites lead to illness, mosquitoes can and do carry and spread some highly deadly diseases across the world.
Here are some facts about mosquitoes and why they are so dangerous:
- They carry and spread diseases such as malaria, Zika virus, yellow fever, and dengue fever.
- In the year 2017, malaria alone killed around 440,000 people worldwide.
- While the United States isn’t particularly at risk for malaria, mosquitoes in this country spread illnesses such as West Nile virus and St. Louis Encephalitis.
- Some people also suffer from allergic reactions to mosquito bites.
How Can You Keep Mosquitoes Off Of Your Property?
Mosquitoes are unfortunately also one of the hardest pests to get rid of completely. Because their numbers in an area can grow so large, and they can spread out over wide swaths of land, it can be hard to eliminate them all.
However, there are some things you can do to make your Beaumont property less appealing to mosquitoes and help reduce the population size, including:
- Get rid of standing water on your property.
- Make sure to treat hot tubs and other water features with the right chemicals.
- Keep bushes, hedges, and other vegetation trimmed and well maintained.
- Ensure that rainwater can drain properly.
- Clean gutters regularly.
- Mow your lawn often.
- Avoid excess outdoor lighting.
- Get help from pest control professionals. This is the most effective way to control mosquito populations in the area.
Why Professional Help Is The Best Mosquito Control
Controlling mosquito populations is a very difficult thing to do on your own. While it is helpful and important to take measures to make your property less appealing to these dangerous insects, these measures can only help so much. The experts at Bill Clark Pest Control have the experience and tools to effectively reduce mosquitoes around your property. Learn more today and schedule your free, no-obligation inspection.
< Previous Next >